Thursday, February 21, 2013

Potty Training




I hate potty training. I can't help it. I do! It's been a pain on my backside since I've began. I feel guilty for even saying it. But the truth is, if potty training was a person, I wouldn't be friends with him. They say that boys are harder or that some kids just train easier than others. But I think it's just luck. You just have to pick the right method at the right time. I've tried starting with Jayden before he turned two. I wanted to get him used to sitting on the potty, so I would just put him on it every night before his bath. He hated it, so we took a break. Then after two, we tried again. He still hated it and took another break. At about 2.5, we tried to focus on training but it was almost like a game to him. Even up until a month ago, we had a hard time. I pictured him being 10 and in diapers. There was no light at the end of the tunnel. Then at the recommendation of his teachers... I switched him cold turkey to undies. They told me to bring tons of clothes and they'll just do what they can to make it work. And all of the sudden it clicked for him. For that whole week he was in underwear, he went on the potty at school every hour. He had one accident on the playground and none at home. The scary thing about the transition was that after only five days, we were going on a road trip to Houston. I went back and forth on what to do... if I should put him back in the diaper, but I read it would confuse him... So I put him in underwear, packed him in the car, and crossed my fingers. I'm happy to say that there were no accidents. NONE! He even started telling me that he had to go instead of me just mechanically taking him to the potty every hour. I was beaming with pride. I can't believe how much this kid has grown. And although we have conquered the number ones.... we are still working on his number twos. :( He's getting there though, and I'm ok with that. 

Some things I'll remember for when Harper starts PT:
-Don't feel pressured to PT just because everyone else's kids are ready. It's not a race. 
-Maybe train her on the toilet instead... I hate cleaning those trainer toilets.
-Or maybe I should consider elimination communication and get her started before she knows how to complain. 

No comments:

Post a Comment