Friday, February 15, 2013

Funfetti Cupcakes for Vday


For JJs Valentine's day party this year, I signed up to bring the cupcakes -- as usual. And in normal Liz fashion, I got way too stressed out about it. You see... I'm one of those nervous cooks, kind of like Ina Garten (at least that's how she describes herself). I can't serve anything unless it turns out just right. I always think that something is wrong. I want feedback on how I can improve a dish, but feel a little sad inside when someone doesn't like it. So, I'm just one big stressball until the whole eating experience is over. Things I'm working on though.

Back to the cupcakes. I normally make a chocolate cake with vanilla buttercream, but I wanted to do something fun, and the obvious choice was Funfetti. This was the first time I made it from scratch. It's basically a white cake with sprinkles, right? So that's exactly what I did. 


I still haven't found my HG of white cake recipes, but I tried one from King Arthur Flour for the first time and it turned out delicious. It was pretty easy to make, too! After I finished making the cake batter, I added some confetti quins. As someone who has made box cakes all her life, I was pretty impressed with the way it turned out. I topped it off with a pale pink buttercream and piped rosettes on top. My son loved them, and I hope you do, too! Enjoy!


Tender White Cake
makes a 2 layer cake or 20-24 cupcakes

2 3/4 cups (11.5 oz) unbleached cake flour
1 2/3 cups (11.75 oz) sugar; superfine sugar is best
1 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup (12 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
4 large egg whites + 1 whole large egg
1 cup (8 oz) full fat vanilla yogurt or whole milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Prepare two 8" x 2" or 9" x 2" round pans; a 9" x 13" pan; or 2 standard cupcake pans (20 to 24 cupcakes) by greasing and flouring; or lining with parchment, then greasing the parchment. Note: Make sure your 8" round pans are at least 2" deep; if they're not, use one of the other pan options.
Mix all of the dry ingredients on slow speed to blend. Add the soft butter and mix until evenly crumbly, like fine damp sand. It may form a paste, depending on the temperature of the butter, how much it's mixed, and granulation of the sugar used.
Add the egg whites one at a time, then the whole egg, beating well after each addition to begin building the structure of the cake. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl after each addition.
In a small bowl, whisk the yogurt (or milk) with the vanilla and almond extracts. Add this mixture, 1/3 at a time, to the batter. Beat 1 to 2 minutes after each addition, until fluffy. Be sure to scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl.
Pour the batter into the prepared pans. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes for 8" or 9" rounds; 36 to 42 minutes for a 9" x 13" x 2" sheet cake; or 18 to 20 minutes for cupcakes. A toothpick or cake tester inserted into the center will come out clean when done. Remove from the oven, remove from the pan, if desired (not advisable for a 9" x 13" sheet cake), cool on a rack, and frost.

Whipped Vanilla Frosting 
from Sweetapolita

3 sticks + 2 tablespoons (375 g) unsalted butter
3 1/2 cups (400 g) confectioners' sugar, sifted
3 tablespoons (45 ml) milk
1 tablespoon (15 ml) pure vanilla extract
Pinch of salt

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, whip butter for 8 minutes on medium speed until pale and creamy. 

Add remaining ingredients and mix on low speed for 1 minute, then on medium for 6 minutes. Frosting will be very light, creamy, and fluffy. 

Best used right away. 

Extras
- I weighed all my ingredients.
- I didn't have superfine sugar, so I blended regular granulated sugar in my blender 
- I am not an experienced enough cook to know what do with all those egg yolks, so I bought a carton of egg whites. 
- I used buttermilk instead of whole milk or yogurt.
- All my ingredients were room temperature
- I added confetti quins (they are also called sequins) after the batter was made. You can also use jimmies. I forgot to measure it, and I kind of eyeballed the amount.
- For my oven, the recommended cooking time of 18 minutes was too long. It's best to check on them even earlier, so they won't become too dry.
- I used heavy cream instead of milk in the frosting. I'm not sure if it makes a difference. 
- I piped the cupcakes with a Wilton 1M tip. 
- This is one of the best buttercreams I've ever tasted. It tastes like ice cream!

No comments:

Post a Comment